Does anxiety cause heart palpitations?

Dr. Rudina Balliu

Posted on Mon, 13 Nov 2017 in General Health
Question: hi what does it mean when my heart has this funny feeling like a poking feeling like every 5 mins like a weird feeling I feel normal and everything just that it comes and goes and it scares me from time to time, I work night shift only twice every week and day shift rest of the week and im 30 years old I havnt had this before until a few months ago I started noticing.
Answered by Dr. Rudina Balliu 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possible stress

Detailed Answer:
Hello There !
Thank you for asking Health Care Magic.
I have gone through your question.

Poking feeling that last some minutes , comes and goes in your age , could be associated with stress.

Give me some more informations by answering the questions below so i can have a clear idea of your situation.
-Are you in stressful situation while these episodes happen?
You don't have any other symptoms , right?( pain that goes in the neck or left arm, breathing problem, dizziness...)
-Do you have any dissiease that you did not mention?
If the answers are no , i would still say the cause is stress.

I would suggest to have a meeting with your local doctor to check your heart, rule out any heart problem ( organic problem) and for a possible treatment if it is neccessary. Meanwhile:
- Try to take some time to relax ( start to do Yoga, do sports or something else you really enjoy to do) ,
-Try to avoid stressful situation. ( Try to take less working hours )
-If you drink coffe or any energy drinks , try to avoid them.

Take Care !
Dr Balliu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Rudina Balliu 20 minutes later
Thank you Dr Balliu, No dizziness, No shortness of breath, Nopain or anything like that, I feel great just that my heart has this weird pokey feeling that just comes and goes, and I had experienced some Anxiety in the past like use to be really bad but I take control over it now and learned how to calm myself down. well Im not really sure if I am stressing out or not, maybe I am but Not sure what im stressing out on? can it be something I am not aware of? or different work schedules? it can be, so I might as well bring that up to my boss that I might need to change my shift, I will try do more ecsersises as much as I can like walking and what not, might be from lack of that too since im always tired during the day because of night shifts. thanks for pointing that out, I wasn't sure who to talk to and plus I know that drs here at Bethel Alaska (YKHC) wont do much if its not "life threatning" but it kind of feels like it to me. oh well. oh and I don't drink any caffeine or energy drink, just sodas and I think I might have to stop drinking sodas? and water it is.. although I have to be honest I have been eating poorly too and a lot of junk foods like chips and pop, I never use to have that before until I started having food stamps. I know its bad, but you think it could be from that also? But anyway thanks so much for responding to my questions and I know it may be hard to answer some but God Bless you Drs out there who help out in anyway possible.
Answered by Dr. Rudina Balliu 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Start to eat healthy, relax

Detailed Answer:
Hello again xxxxxxx!
Thank you for the follow up and for the extra informations .

Working during the night/ different working schedule and being tired during the day shows that your body is under stress ( even you don't think avout it to much) , you need to have the time to relax and do things that you enjoy.

Certanily "anxiety "/stress is not a life threating situation but i understand that it bothers you when you experience the poking feelings.
Yes drinking soda and poorly eating for sure is not good for health. These food may affect/ damage your stomach/ esophagus -give spasms
I would suggest start with :
-eating healthy .
-Relax / Ask for a change in your working schedule ( yes would be a good idea), so your body can have time to relax.
- Do a check up at your familly doctor .

Take Care!
Wish you good health.
Dr Balliu