Does an Epidural steroid injection cause headache?

Posted on Thu, 12 Oct 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: After an epidural steroid injection , which I will have in my lower lumbar this Friday, what should I expect? What should I do over the next few days after getting it. I have a herniated disk and canal stenosis which sends pain down back of both legs and in buttocks.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Low blood pressure, headache are possible complications

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

Thanks for the query

After an Epidural steroid injection you could have headache if there is any leak of cerebrospinal fluid which can be a complication in some cases. Keep the lower limbs elevated by foot end elevation.

Avoid cross leg sitting and bending forward after the procedure. Keep well hydrated.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr.Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu 19 minutes later
Doctor, I want to avoid surgery if I can. What are other treatments that can be done? I hope the ESI works. If not, can they do another one, or is one ESI the limit?? Do you like acupuncture for sciatic pain???
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Answers

Detailed Answer:
Around 2-3 Epidural steroid injections can be taken.

Alternative medicine like Acupuncture could help with pain but latest studies show that it is a sham.

Physiotherapy should help with TENS or IFT.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon