Does a CT scan of the lumbar spine include the hip?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2014
Apr 2014

Radiologist
Question
In non-medical terms, describe the relationship of the hip to the lumbar spine. Does a CT of the lumbar spine include the hip? I have a VERY concerned friend that believes that it doesn't, has just had the CT & is very upset as he believes that the hip (which causes extreme pain was not included).
Posted Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Disc prolapse in L/S spine can cause hip pain.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing to HCM

I have gone through your query in detail.Sorry to know bout your friend's suffering.
You mentioned that your friend is suffering from degenerative disc disease in lumbar spine.
Degenerative disc disease are generally associated with disc prolapse and prolapsed disc causes nerve problem due to compression by herniated disc.

Lumbo-sacral disc prolapse can cause radiating pain in the hip and lower limbs because nerve supply in these areas are related to lumbo-sacral region.Nerve exit from lumbo-sacral region and supply hip region and lower limbs.So,your doctor has advised right investigations.

I presume that your friend has been already examined by a neurologist and investigation has been advised after clinical assessment.

If needed MRI of hip joints can be done separately.Routinely,hip joint and lumbar spine investigation are two different things.

CT scan of lumbar spine doesn't include hip joint.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX