Does Tylenol give false positive test results for codeine?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I took tylenol #3 for little over 2 dYS. NORMALLY I TAKE TRAMODOL FOR CHRONIC LOWER BACK PAIN BUT TOOK THE TYLENOL#3 INSTEAD HELPED BETTER. I WASN'T DRINKING ENOUGH WATER HIND-SITE BUT RED BULL I HAD URINE DRUG TEST FOR A JOB. I CAME BACK ABNORMALLY HIGH FOR CODEINE. 7000NG/ML I've never had a drug test before and never thought about the tylenol #3. What would cause such a high result.. My urine was very yellow and concentrated that morning. I commented and the lab tech made comment. I don't abuse drugs!!!! What is your opinion on what happened Tramodol wash-t working. I've been packing bins to move and did alot of heavy lifting
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need management and clinical corrlation

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking
Tylenol 3 has codeine in it and tramadol is opioid too.there had been an interaction between the two opioid and they have potentiated their effects.upto 360 mg codeine can be used daily for the pain. It with tramadol it's limitations reduce to half .but use for 2 days us least likely to cause this levels.either you have been using it for long or you overdosed or you have been taking it in some other form like cough remedies or energy drinks.i suggest you stop right now and get liver functions assessed.get to an addiction medicine specialist for further management.