Does Haloperidol or Hydromorphone have any interaction with antibiotics?

Dr. M. Vamsi Krishna

Diabetologist

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Diabetes
Question: Dear Doctor, (1) Which of haloperidol or hydromorphone can mask a pt's response to antibiotics, and in what way does it do that? (2) Which of haloperidol or hydromorphone lowers BP? (3) Would BP of 102/62 or 106/70 be too low to use either haloperidol or hydromorphone even at a low dose? (4) I presume that BP of 85/60 and 86/48 would be too low for the use of either medication. I'm sorry to ask so many questions.
Answered by Dr. M. Vamsi Krishna 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hi there

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir
I can understand your concern.

I am giving answers in the same order asked by you

Answer 1- Hydromorphone is not having any known interactions with antibiotics but haloperidol is affected by antibiotics which induce CYP3A4 enzyme system for example Rifampicin. Since any drug which induce the enzyme system will also make all other drugs to break down quickly which are processed through same system.

Answer 2- Both the medications can cause some reduction of blood pressure. Hydromorphone will slow down heart beat and cause hypotension. Haloperidol is known to induce ventricular arrhythmias and cause irregular heart beats which is main reason for lowering of blood pressure. Comparatively blood pressure lowering effect is more than hydromorphone.

Answer 3 and 4- Dear in a natural scenario blood pressure will not fall down too low without any underlying pathology. During hypotension its advisable to treat the cause first before addressing pain relief.

In some cases the underlying pathology can be cardiac related which will be exacerbated by the Haloperidol. Both the medication are known to cause respiratory depression also.

I suggest you to consider taking clearance from cardiologist before starting medication in hypotensive patients.

I am ready for further discussion.
Dr XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. M. Vamsi Krishna 36 minutes later
Thank you Dr XXXXXXX for your very precise response. If hydromorphone is not known to interact with antibiotics, then could it mask a pt's ability to recover in some other way, e.g. by affecting vital signs too much? Would some other analgesic be safer, e.g., less likely to lower BP of affect other vital signs. For instance, even paracetamol or some other weaker analgesic. However, the pain varies from moderate to severe. By the way, I'm not sure whether I forgot to mention that the pt. also has delirium.
Answered by Dr. M. Vamsi Krishna 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi there

Detailed Answer:

Hydromorphone is an opioid analgesic having its activity directly on brain.

The response of antibiotics in infection depends on bacterial sensitivity to the given antibiotic.
For most of infections its mandatory to send the sample to culture and sensitivity before prescribing antibiotics. So in case antibiotic is not effective your recovery might be slow.

Hydromorphone is a good pain medication but also causes slight depression of general mood so some patients may feel as "lost". Other wise its a good medication.

Paracetamol is a very good drug but many be effective as Hydromorphone.

My suggestion to you is considering visiting a pain management clinic where you will find lot of non pharmacological techniques to avoid pain without any side effects.

Dr XXXXXXX
Diabetologist
Apollo Hospitals