Do intermittent pain in left hand suggest heart disease?

Posted on Sat, 13 Jun 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi Doctor,

For the past 3 weeks I have pain in the left hand. It comes and goes. Sometimes it happens near the wrist, sometimes near the tricep, sometime near the shoulder. I don't have any shortness of breath but have a slight discomfort in my stomach. I feel the urge to go to the toilet more than once a day. Last week I had viral fever and when I went to the doctor, the BP was 160/100. He has prescribed all tests for me like blood sugar, liver function, ECG. Am I under the risk of a heart disease?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It can be cervical spondylitis

Detailed Answer:
Pain in left side of the body can be due to heart problem. But it can be due to many other causes like cervical spondylitis or shoulder problems. In young patients below 35 heart problems are rare but still it is always goof to rule out with ECG.
I would like to know few details before I can offer you my advise.
1.Are you having chest pain also?
2.Are you a smoker or a Diabetic?
3.Please send me your investigation reports.
I am waiting for your answers. I will try my best to help you.
thanks
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 7 minutes later
Thanks doctor,

There is no chest pain but I do smoke about 4 cigarettes a day. I am not a diabetic.
The thing that got me worried was the BP and the OMRON BP monitor showed the "Irregular heartbeat symbol" once.

Can riding a bike cause spondylytis? I ride about 50km a day wearing a helmet that weighs around 1.5kg
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
yes this pain can be caused by bike

Detailed Answer:
I would recommend you to quit smoking as it is not good for heart and lung. Your neck pain is also due to bike riding as it involves jerky activities and causes pain and spasm in neck muscles.
I would suggest you to use light weight helmet. Also avoid bumpy rides. Hot water fomentation and volitran ointment is helpful.
You may need to take muscle relaxant like myoril or myospaz if pain increases .
It is good that your heart is alright.
I hope this answer will be useful for you. Let me know if there is any other followup questions.
Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 19 minutes later
Thank you doctor. I am relieved.. The OMRON BP monitor really scared me.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
thanks for using healthcare magic

Detailed Answer:
it was my pleasure to help you. You can also ask direct questions from me in future.
Wish you a good health
Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement