Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Diarrhea, sore throat and skin irritation after unprotected sex. When should I go for HIV duo test?

Apr 2013
User rating for this question
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 9331 Questions
Hello doctor,
I am a 26 year old male. 33 days ago I had an unprotected vaginal sexual encounter with a girl I've known for some time. Idon't know wether she had any STDs. After this encounter, I developped a few symptoms like diarrhea and some skin irritation. I saw a dermatologist - venerologist who dismissed the possibility of those symptoms being related to a HIV infection. He did however prescribe a HIV duo test, which I took on the 27th day after the encounter. A few days before the test I started having a sore throat, a white tongue and having night sweats.
My question is, how reliable the test after 27 days would be (I'm planning to get another one on the 6th week XXXXXXX that being the guidelines in France, where I live)? Would testing today tell me more about my status?
Thank you
Posted Wed, 1 May 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 44 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your querry.
HIV duo should be taken 4 weeks after exposure. This one day is negligible,so you can be sure about its results and you dont have to repeat this test.
Studies report that the test was 100% accurate if you get a negative result, and 94% accurate if you get a positive result.
These symptoms you are mentioning always confuse people because everyone think this is ARS(acute retroviral syndrome) and caused by HIV. But these are nonspecific symtpoms,can be caused by any virus, allergy or irritation and in most cases have no any relation to sexual intercourse.
YOu can do test again if you are very concerned,but it might be better to do swab STD tests because it is more common and can be easier transmitted.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help"
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an HIV AIDS Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor