Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with normocytic normochromic anaemia with mild anisocytosis poikilocytosis. Information on this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1979
Answered : 431 Questions
My mother-in-law who is 89 years and 5 months old with reasonable good health has not been feeling too good. Her reports show that she has a hb of 9.3, pcv of 27, ESR of 30, XXXXXXX sodium of 120 and trace of albumin in her urine. The doctor's diagnosis is normocytic normochromic anaemia with mild anisocytosis poikilocytosis. What is this and what should be done for her? I live away from her and I need to know how serious is her condition.
Posted Sat, 15 Jun 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Jawahar Ticku 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

The condition you are describing is not a very serious problem.

You have not given the full blood picture. She is anemic and dehydrated having low salt in the body the reason she must be sick and listless and lethargic which needs immediate correction.

She is loosing protein in the urine. you need to have kidney functions also done to rule out protein deficiency related anemia.There are many other causes of anemia for which your doctor will examine your mother in law and prescribe the required tests to rule out the cause of anemia.

I am sure once the cause is treated your mother in law will be back to normalcy.
Dr. J. Ticku
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Hematologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor