question-icon

What are symptoms of pernicious anemia?

Posted on Mon, 27 Oct 2014
Question: I am overweight and just diagnosed with high blood pressure and low Vit D,B12 levels and my fatique and memory levels are a problem to daily functioning. I am 54 years old. I am being treated with Benicar HCT for 1 week and will start therapy for the vit deficiancies. Could Pernicious Anemia be an issue? YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Jyothi B L (30 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Not probably pernicious anemia.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking.
I am Dr. Jyothi BL and I will be answering your query.

Based on your query, my opinion is as follows.

1. Pernicious anemia possibility is low. Even though it is common in females, a sudden presentation along with other vitamin deficiencies is rare and indicates possible malnutrition (poor quality of food intake). It can be evaluated after taking Vit B12 orally for two weeks and then repeating a reticulocyte count.

2. 11.3g% is good for the age and sex. It is very mild anemia.

3. Peripheral smear would suggest macrocytic normochromic anemia and hemogram would show increased MCV with normal to increased MCH. If these are present, Vit B12 deficiency is possible. However for pernicious anemia, antibody studies are necessary and I think, it is not required now.

4. Take multivitamin supplements and along with it Vit B12 specific supplement also. You should improve within two weeks. Anemia is probably leading to fatigue and Vit B12 deficiency is known to affect memory.

5. Take nutritional diet with low salt and also do moderate exercises. Reduction of weight is important to reduce blood pressure.

Do not worry about pernicious anemia at present. Its possibility is low. Take oral Vit B12 and add fish, egg white, beans and red meat to diet. Overall improvement can be noted within two weeks.

Hope it helps.
Any further queries, happy to help again.
Dr. Jyothi BL

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Jyothi B L

Pathologist and Microbiologist