Diagnosed with mild emphysema. Have sore muscles. Is this a sign of lung cancer?

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra

Pulmonologist

Posted on Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Lung Cancer
Question: I have pain in wrist sometimes and pain in knee rarely feels like sore muscle also in shoulders sometimes and forearm, is this sign of lung cancer or copd could cause this also?
I was diagnosed with mild emphasyma
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 3 hours later
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX After going through the query, I would like to comment the following:

1. You had been operated for stage 2 colon cancer in 2010.Also you seem to be suffering from emphysema (COPD).

2. I would like to know if you smoke. Having diagnosed with emphysema a pulmonary function test is required by you. Also are you currently on any medications for emphysema.

3. Pain in wrist , knee and shoulder pain should not be ignored considering your past history. This type of pain may be due to osteoarthritis which has an association with COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease /emphysema).

4. For lung cancer to cause such symptoms firstly the symptoms of lung cancer need to be present eg. chest complaints like cough, breathlessness, blood in sputum etc. You haven't mentioned any of them hence unlikely.

5. However I suggest , you visit an orthopedician, get yourself clinically and get the local imaging studies of the joints involved along with a chest xray. Imaging studies available today include local xray, bone dexa scan, PET scan, HRCT thorax, MRI SCAN of the joints. Either one or some of these investigations may be required depending on the clinical findings.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Consultant Pulmonologist
Follow up: Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 18 hours later
I have only been smoking 1 small cigar a day for past 3 months and I hardly inhale.
I dont have a cough or blood in saliva or shortness of breath but had chest pains and pains at side of ribs near under arms.

Kind Regards XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 1 hour later
Thanks for the follow up info.

After going through the follow up info, I would like to comment the following:

1. You seem to be having associated chest pains near the ribs.

2. In such a scenario a clinical evaluation is required.

3. I suggest, you visit a Pulmonologist and get yourself evaluated. I have mentioned the investigations, that may be required in my previous post. At least a chest xray and pulmonary function test should be done for further evaluation in consultation with a Pulmonologist.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Consultant Pulmonologist