What causes debilitating pain in the body, chronic cough and diarrhea?

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist

Posted on Fri, 18 May 2018 in Lupus
Question: What can cause all over body pains so severe walking and movement are difficult (dressing, showering, getting out of bed). I also have chest and rib pains with that as well, heart problems have been ruled out. A bad left foot with swelling, had xrays, they were normal. Chronic cough and diarrhea issues.
Answered by Dr. Naval Mendiratta 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
is it arthritis

Detailed Answer:
good evening

Thank you for writing on health care magic

Well it looks either of a muscle problem or a joint problem..i would like to ask you a few queries

1. Do you have difficulty in getting up from bathroom seat or combing hair?

2. Any swelling of the joints have you noted

3. How is the pain in the mornings?Is there any early morning stiffness?

4. any other history of oral ulcers ,hair fall ,rashes dry eyes or dry mouth ?

5. has any blood test been performed?

6.how about the sleep pattern?is it good or disturbed

Do let me know these queries

would guide you further from here..

Dr naval

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Naval Mendiratta 10 hours later
Dr. Naval,
Thank you for your response. Yes, both (difficulty getting up from the bathroom and combing my hair.) Also getting in and out of the shower is very difficult. So is dressing.
It takes much effort and time just to get from one room to another and it is very painful. I use a wheelchair much of the time because pain worsens greatly with movement. I have a swollen left foot that is quite painful and swelling in my hands. No other swelling to my knowledge any place else, just a lot of pain. In the mornings, I have gotten used to saying to myself, "time to hurt." It feels much better when I have been laying still in bed and once I get up it's all pain from there. I have some stiffness but I don't notice it any worse in the mornings than I do at any other time. I get a good bit of pain in my mouth at times with little bumps and sometimes blood blisters. I did have some hair loss but potassium supplements seem to be addressing that as it is getting thicker again. Rashes (and itching) when I have allergic reactions to something but not that bad at other times. Itchy eyes, I don't think they are dry. Blood tests showed a low red blood count but hemoglobin was I think only a little low and then it was ok, calcium was a little low, sed rate was normal. Previous diagnosis of lupus (2000)
but told tests look ok now.
I do have D and B12 deficiencies. A limited diet due to allergies to multiple foods. Sleep is actually good now probably though because I am so fatigued all the time. I have little trouble sleeping now, unless I am worse in shortness of breath. I use oxygen as needed and have had low oxygen levels in the past, but I tend to stay short of breath, O2 just helps some.

Thanks for getting back to me.
Sincerely, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Naval Mendiratta 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
muscle disease vs arthritis

Detailed Answer:
good evening XXXXXXX

Thank you for your detailed reply

Well it is quite saddening that we still don't have a diagnosis and you are suffering so much..

Well the sort of symptoms you are describing which are worse in walking, we need to look at your hip joints and knee joints...Probably some changes going on there which are not letting you get up from the chair and causing pain when the load increases...

With history of lupus in background I would recommend we get muscle enzymes done as well...If all s normal last we ll get done EMG which detects which muscles r not working well..

I am advising you a few test:

1. CPK
2. LDH
3 X ray pelvis AP view
4. X ray both knees (standing).
5 CRP
6. ALP

Do let me know these results...

Dr naval
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D