Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
194 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with hypogonadism, want to gain muscle mass. Can I ask for testosterone cypionate?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 297 Questions
I am a 30 yr male and I have recently been diagnosed with hypogonadism (total test 2.8) , the doc is putting me on TRT. My LH, Prolactin is normal and a CT is being done to rule any possible tumors. I have also confirmed to the doctor that I am not looking to have any more children

I am looking to take advantage of the situation by using this opportunity to put on some quality mass in the gym. I have been, rather like a fool, working out really hard in the gym, for the past 1 year, only to have zero improvement, obviously due to the low testosterone levels.

How do I tell the doc this ? and what do I do to ensure that the doc is prescribing me a quantity sufficient to tilt my metabolism towards being anabolic. What are a doctor's reactions on receiving such requests?

Can I ask for testosterone cypionate as I can up the dose a little bit to get to what I want. The doctor is suggestion Sustanon at the moment

Do doctors usually teach to self-inject or will they expect me to come to a hospital for frequent injections?.

I understand that answers to most of these questions will vary from doctor to doctor. I am interested in your personal opinion.


Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. V. Kumaravel 18 hours later

Thanks for your query.

I do understand that you have been with Hypogonadism and had been on TRT (Testesterone replacement Therapy). Your concern now seems to improve your muscle mass and you are not bothered about having children.

Testosterone is available as oral tablets, gel, patches and injection. The most commonly preferred preparation is the injection as these need not be taken daily.

Sustanon is Testosterone injection that is given at doses of 200mg to 300mg every 2 to 4 weeks depending on clinical and biochemical response. It is given as a intramuscular injection and it is difficult to have it injected by yourself. Any health care professional can help take injection.

While taking Testosterone, you have to keep monitoring your hemoglobin, prostate and PSA levels.

I would suggest you to go with doctor's choice for testosterone and the dosage, as he can guide you better on your needs. Be open to discuss your issues with your treating doctor to get the maximum benefit.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries if any.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor