• question-icon

Suggest treatment for low testosterone level while on Sustanon

Posted on Thu, 29 Jun 2017 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Recently I had on test found to have low testosterone (report enclosed). Doctor prescribed sustanon 250 mg once a week for one month. If the dose is ok. Becoz pharmatist told that aquaviron 25 mg dose is also available.
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kini 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
The dose is perfect

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear. I went through your lab reports. Sustanon is a slow acting oil based steroid, it can take weeks before a peak testosterone level is reached. Hence it contains 4 ingredients-

-30 mg Testosterone propionate
- 60 mg Testosterone phenylpropionate
- 60 mg Testosterone isocaproate
- 100 mg Testosterone decanoate

In case of Aquaviron its water based steroid and faster acting. Very fast acting, testosterone suspension will sustain elevated testosterone levels for only 2-3 days. Athletes will most commonly inject "suspension" daily, at a dosage of 50-100 mg.

Your doctor might have evaluated you well and prescribed the drug which is appropriate for you. The dosage is perfectly ok as your require slow acting long term usage drug, and not short and fast acting drug which athletes use.

Hope i have answered your question. Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions. I ll be glad to help you.
All the best
With warm regards
Dr Sanjay Kini

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kini 10 hours later
Thank you sir for your reply. Sir, whether Testosterone therapy required to be continued. Because the treatment is for 1 month and after 1 to 3 months again it will go down. Also I have learnt from somewhere that Testosterone steroid causes prostate cancer.
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Its your choice

Detailed Answer:
Hello. There are various research studies undertaken to see if testosterone therapy causes prostate cancer. Researchers have doubt about the possibility but it is not proved conclusively yet. Moreover the risk of prostate cancer due to testosterone increases only after 60 years of age. At your age it is bit unlikely.

If you are planning to have a child, or if you are having marital problems like low libido etc then you can continue with testosterone therapy. Otherwise if you feel that low testosterone will not cause any problems in your life you can talk to the doctor and discontinue it. Choice is yours.

With warm regards- Dr Sanjay Kini
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Sanjay Kini