Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
164 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and taking carbimazol and beta bloker treatment. Should I go for radioactive iodine treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 2366 Questions
hi, i am diagnose with hyperthyroidism. started my carbimazol and beta bloker treatment for 5 weeks. this is my second relapse. do you think i should go for the radioactive iodin treament?
Posted Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam , Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that in my opinion you should consult an endocrinolgist get a USG thyroid done to find out what is the cause of your hyperthyroidism . Since you are having second relapse even after on anti thyroid medications you can consider getting radioactive iodine treatment but risks needs to be balanced against the benefits . Although the possibilities of developing hypothyroidism , malignancies is very less . Radioiodine ablation is generally safe and the only major reasons for not using it are pregnancy and breast-feeding Your treating doctor remains the best judge of your treatment because he knows all the present condition and has examined you . So , if he is recommending you this you can go for it . Yours truly Dr.Shruti
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor