Diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and taking carbimazol and beta bloker treatment. Should I go for radioactive iodine treatment?

Dr. Shruti Rijhwani

Rheumatologist

Posted on Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: hi, i am diagnose with hyperthyroidism. started my carbimazol and beta bloker treatment for 5 weeks. this is my second relapse. do you think i should go for the radioactive iodin treament?
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam , Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that in my opinion you should consult an endocrinolgist get a USG thyroid done to find out what is the cause of your hyperthyroidism . Since you are having second relapse even after on anti thyroid medications you can consider getting radioactive iodine treatment but risks needs to be balanced against the benefits . Although the possibilities of developing hypothyroidism , malignancies is very less . Radioiodine ablation is generally safe and the only major reasons for not using it are pregnancy and breast-feeding Your treating doctor remains the best judge of your treatment because he knows all the present condition and has examined you . So , if he is recommending you this you can go for it . Yours truly Dr.Shruti