Diagnosed with anemia. Ankle surgery to be done. What should I do?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 22 Dec 2012 in Blood Disorders
Question: anaemia I was recently in the hospital with a shattered ankle and was diagnosed with anaemia. upon discharge I was given a prescription for iron with no refills. they are now gone and I've seen all the doctors involving my ankle surgery but the anaemia hasn't been brought up and I've forgotten to ask. if it was something I should take everyday why did I get one prescription? and how damaging/detrimental to my health is it not to continue taking it?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Since you are due for an ankle surgery, you need to correct your anaemia to have an early trouble free recovery and minimal complications. Correction of anaemia is necessary for you.
You need to ask your physician for more refills of the prescrption you have. One week of iron supplements is not enough for the blood counts to come back to normal and you need to take them for close to 4-6 weeks for the counts to normalize. MCV and MCH should come back within normal limits gradually.

In order to increase the iron/hemoglobin levels in the body, you can have iron XXXXXXX foods like liver, lean red meats, beans like kidney, lima, navy, black, pinto, soy beans, and lentils, iron fortified whole grains, XXXXXXX vegetables like spinach, tofu, broccoli, swiss chard, asparagus, parsley, chicken, nuts, egg yolk and dry fruits.

You should also have iron supplements along with these foods. The iron preparation you take should contain between 30-100 mg elemental iron. Avoid enteric-coated or prolonged-release preparations.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.