Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
193 Doctors are Online

Diabetic and have hypertension. Taking medication. Urinating frequently at night. Advise?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1995
Answered : 527 Questions
Hello Doctor,
I am diabetic since 7 years and have hypertension. I am taking the following medicines past one month:
1. Metffil G2 twice daily
2. Metolar Am 50 mg twice daily
3. Ecosporin Av 75 once a day
My FBS is more than 220 and today it was 261.
Offlate iam urinating 3to4 times at night which was not the case ealrier.
Earlier I was taking:
Glycomet 1000 mg 2 times
Blsito 1 mg in morning
Blist 2mg at night
Covance 50 mg twice a day
Metolar XR 50 mg twice a day
My FBS was 102 and ppbs was 104 Gycocelated Hemoglobin showed 5.3 4 weeks ago
Kindly advice.
I have misplaced my reports and unable to upload.
Posted Mon, 16 Sep 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Better sugar control might be required

Detailed Answer:
There is a strong likelihood of your urinary frequency improving with increased blood sugar control. As of now, it is obviously not good, and you need to get it back to an extent where fasting levels are below 140 mg%. You might have to consult the doctor who is taking care of blood sugars and indicate that the previous medication helped you and ask if you can go back to that regimen.
In view of the fact that you are over 50 years of age, I also suggest that you get a screening for your prostate done. This is easily accomplished by means of an ultrasound of prostate and an estimate of your post void residual urine. A urologist will also do a digital rectal examination for estimation of size and nature of prostate.Some urologists also ask for a test called Prostate Specific Antigen in males over the age of 50 years but this recommendation is fraught with controversy and at this point I suggest you keep it in mind and discuss with your urologist when he does the rectal examination.
You can also get a test called Uroflowmetry for future referral. This will indicate if any factor other than high sugar levels are causing you to pass urine more frequently like an enlarged prostate with obstruction with incomplete voiding. and get it done only if you are having significant trouble despite adequate sugar control.
Hope I have been able to help you.
Let me know your progress and attach any reports of scan so I might be able to give you a better opinion.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor