Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Diabetic. Have elevated sugar level and found bilateral grade 1 renal parenchymal changes. Solution?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2272 Questions
My mother is Aged about 74 years and diabetic.It is noticed 'BILATRAL GRADE 1 RENAL PARENCHYMAL CHANGES' IN usg. She is Diabetic.Her Serm creatanine is 0.9 and urea is 37 Serum sodim 132, potassium 5.2 . Since 10days she is suffering from elevated sugar levels. Fasting sugar 190 and post luNch 290. hOW TO GO ABOUT IT
Posted Sun, 17 Mar 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
Your mother is having the complication of diabetes affecting the kidneys, called Diabetic Nephropathy.When the diabetes is 8-10 yrs time it affects the kidneys, nerves and retina which is termed Triopathies of diabetes.
The control of the blood sugar and a close association with a local physician for diabetes management is the key to limit the progression.
If the sugar levels you have mentioned are high despite treatment then it may be possible that she may be having some stressful problem like anxiety, infections particularly respiratory tract infection and also make sure that she has not discontinued the treatment as such.
You should get a chest Xray, a complete blood count, renal function test should be repeated regularly because she has high potassium levels for that reason she should avoid potassium XXXXXXX foods like fruit juices, coconut water, bananas, citrus fruits etc.
Also get a blood culture, Urine routine and culture tests to detect any severe infection in the body as a cause of high blood sugar levels.
I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you.
Take Care!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Diabetologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor