Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
163 Doctors are Online

Depressed for small problems. Destroys things and very possessive about wife. Suggest a solution?

Dec 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 1704 Questions
Hi, the person is married . Age 26 years. any small problem comes , he is depressed. He destroys t shirts, passports, hitting hard on walls, crying . Too much possessive for wife. do not leave her even 10 mins with parents also. the mood continues for about 3 to 4 days. then he comes and says apologies to every one.he totally surrenders.How to deal with and it indicates what.
Posted Mon, 30 Sep 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Obviously suffering from a psychosocial disorder

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

Well be rest assured that our discussion is private and besides many of these conditions are posted on a daily basis on this site.
From your description, the symptoms seem to be associated with a condition known as bi-polar disorder. Bipolar disorder is a condition in which a person has periods of depression and periods of being extremely happy or being cross or irritable.Bipolar disorder affects men and women equally. It usually starts between ages 15 and 25. The exact cause is not known. But it occurs more often in relatives of people with bipolar disorder. In most people with bipolar disorder, there is no clear cause for the periods (episodes) of extreme happiness (mania) or depression. The following may trigger a manic episode:
- Childbirth
- Medicines such as antidepressants or steroids
- Periods of not being able to sleep (insomnia)
- Recreational drug use

Other diseases conditions that might trigger similar symptoms could be anxiety disorder, hyper/hypothyroidism, multiple sclerosis, neurosyphilis, PTSD, schizophrenia, Seasonal affective disorder etc.
In order to help him with the situation, you will need to wait until he is totally calm and ready to listen, then talk to him about getting help (as he needs help before he does something worst). You will need to have him get help with a neuropsychiatrist who can physically examine him, run some tests (including CT, MRI, EEG) then place him on appropriate antipsychotic medications.
This is the only possible way that he can stop having these episodes.

Hope this helps and wish your family the best.
Dr. Nsah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor