Coughing on drinking water in the morning. Suffering from gastric problems

Excellent
Question
i have a gaestro problem.Early morning when i wake up i get lot of cough with water only
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 29 minutes later
From your symptoms it seems that you are suffering from excessive gastric acidity with esophageal reflux which becomes aggravated over night and results in irritation of esophagus leading to cough and watery discharge.
It is aggravated by spicy food, oily food, smoking, tobacco of any kind, alcohol, coffee, sliding hernia which is a condition where the upper part of stomach is pulled up in the chest.

You need to avoid the above mentioned factors at all costs. Also eat small portion meals at frequent intervals rather than large heavy meals. This helps to reduce your nausea as well.

Avoid lying down immediately after a meal, rather lie down flat only after 2 hours. Till then you may lie at a recline at 45 degrees with head-end up. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Keep well hydrated.

You need to get investigated by a thorough evaluation which may also include an endoscopy to see if the food pipe is damaged by stomach acids and also if stomach has any gastritis or ulcer. Also you ma get investigated for possible Doctor would prescribe medication to reduce stomach acidity and also medication to allow food and stomach acids to move downwards in your bowel rather than upwards into your food pipe. This will provide a lot of relief. As it is a chronic problem, lifestyle modifications and dietary modifications will be of immense help.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Coughing on drinking water in the morning. Suffering from gastric problems 29 hours later
Thanx Doctor,

Please provide me a good medicine for this..

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Usually for such symptoms over the counter medicines like omeprazole- to be taken empty stomach every morning and domperidone - taken thrice daily are helpful along with the dietary modifications. In case the symptoms are not relieved then you need stronger prescription medicines after consulting a physician.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.