Can Viagra be taken while on Ramipril, Atorvastatin and Omeprazole?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Tue, 22 May 2018 in Men Sexual Problems
Question: Can I take viagra whilst on prescriptions for ramipril 2.5mg, atorvastatin 20mg and omeprazole 20mg
I have had haemochromatosis for 6 years
Apart from that I’m healthy and run 60km on average per week including competitive races
I have been experiencing a declining libido over past 6 months hence the question
I am 45 years of age
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
risk of one interaction that may or may not occur

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

There is one possible interaction between atorvastatin and viagra.

Viagra increases the toxicity of atorvastatin, this means it increases the chance of side effects occurring due to the atorvastatin such as muscle pain.

It is possible that you may not experience any effects from the combination but you should be aware of the possible interaction

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 11 hours later
Thanks
So apart from potential muscle pain there are no other known side effects or issues
On the day I use viagra should i not take the statin until maybe 9-12 hours after as I believe that viagra stays in the system for up to 4 hours ?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
can separate as you suggested

Detailed Answer:
HI

Viagra has a half life of 4 hours. The half life of a medication is the time it takes for the amount of medication in the body to decrease by half, it takes 3 to 4 half lives for a medication to completely disappear.

So the levels halve after 4 hours then 4 hours later, they halve again, constantly decreasing.

If you separate them by 8 hours, should be okay, if you do have problems, may need to speak to your doctor