Constant burping with skipped heartbeat. What to do?

Dr. Ganesh Sanap

Radiologist

Posted on Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Question: I find that I burp alot and feels that my heart misses a beat then feels like it skips beats and I have to breath in extra air
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 2 hours later

Burping is a normal phenomenon in many people and may be caused release of CO2 gas from stomach by drinking carbonated beverages like beer, cold drink, etc. But when it is associated other symptoms such as heartburn, nausea, abdominal bloating, etc., it may be pathological. Such pathological conditions which are associated with burping are peptic ulcer or dyspepsia or any esophageal problem. A detailed examination and if required an endoscopy may be needed to isolate the cause.

As far as skipping heart beat is concerned, very often they do not indicate a serious problem. However it definitely needs to be evaluated by a competent cardiologist with EKG, Holter studies and other blood test. Do consider visiting a cardiologist.

Hope I have answered query; any follow up questions are welcome.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad