Child with mild fever, stomach ache, headache and dry cough. Urine test normal. Any cure?

Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth

Pediatrician, Neonatology

Posted on Thu, 24 Jan 2013 in Child Health
Question: My 7 year old daughter has had a mild fever 100.2 to 101.6 on and off for over two weeks, stomach pains in the front mainly the odd time on the right side, and headaches she says she can feel it thrubing. She has a dry cough too. Last night was the worse for stomach pains. She was up until almost midnight. Today she had 1 watery stool. My daughter is usually healthy. Get a cold once a year. We had her to the doctors january 2nd. They did a urine test. Which came back fine. No problems
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 8 hours later
Welcome to HCM!

The child with fever for 2 weeks and right abdominal pain( is it upper rt abdomen or lower part of abdomen on the right side?),Needs some investigations like
Blood count and ESR, widal test for typhoid , liver function tests., and ultrasound abdomen.

The conditions to be ruled out are
Hepatitis,
Typhoid,
Blood counts to decide about bacterial or viral infections ,
Gall stones though rare in kids,
Pyelonephritis( kidney infection)

She needs re evaluation by a pediatrician to examine and decide what are the possibilities from the above conditions.
2 weeks fever is a rather prolonged one and needs evaluation.

Good luck
God bless
Dr Uma