Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Child with dark green stool. Sign of teething?

Feb 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 3176 Questions
My 5 month old has had dark green stool the last 2 days. I tried squash the first time a couple of days ago for a few days and they were normal and then changed all of a sudden. He doesn't act sick. He just is drooling a lot and always trying to eat his hand. His face sometimes feels warm but he hasn't had a fever. He is even pooping at night which he never does. He wakes up and he usually sleeps at night. He just acts like his mouth is hurting. They are a lot more often then his usual bowel movements. he doesn't seem as hungry but still eats. Could it be from getting more teeth. He already has his bottom 2.
Posted Fri, 24 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 33 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Stool color variation is normal infants.

If the stool consistency is normal, nothing to worry about the color of stool.

If the stool is watery or foul smelling then we can think it is due to some infection.

As he is active, nothing to worry.

Drooling of saliva starts from 4 to 5 months of age and it is a normal developmental phenomenon.

This salivation helps to eat semisolid food from 6 months onwards by the child.

Eating his hand is an indicator of the onset of one developmental milestone is called 'mouthing'. By this the kid tries to explore objects by keeping in his mouth.

During teeth eruption, there will be mild irritation and because of keeping the hands in their mouth, stools some times become semisolid to loose because of contamination.

For loose stools you can give oral probiotic like saccharomyces or lactobacillus sachets with his pediatrician prescription.

If the stools are watery, you can give oral rehydration solutions like Pedialyte to prevent dehydration.

Therefore I advise you to consult the pediatrician for the physical examination of the child and treatment.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor