Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
195 Doctors are Online

Child weight not increasing. Blood test showed high ALP. Was given vitamin D granules. Healthy diet. What else can be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1803 Questions
Hello Doctor, my daughter is 11months old. At the time of birth she was 3.010kg. During the routine checkups, she has been keeping towards the lower curve of the growth chart. As a result, in her routine doctor's visit at her 10th month(1 month back), her doctor suggested her a blood test and the result found out to be heigh ALP (Alkaline Phosphatase) levels around 850. Then, the doctor gave her the vitamid D grannuals dosage to control the ALP levels, However, now even after having taken the vitaminD granuals plan for a month. Her weight is not increasing as per the standard WHO's growth chart. And, in her last month still a decline was noticed in her weight as the the growth chart. As far as her diet is concerned, she takes monther's milk, external milk and solid diet. She consumes around 150ml a day the external (mother dairy's full cream milk). In her last routine doctor's visit, at 11th month, she was 6.7kg and her height was 69cms.Otherwise, the child is active and agile. But, we are concerned about the decline in her weight as per the standard growth chart. Please suggest ways to increase our child's weight based in the vegetarian's diet.
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

As long as your kid is active and playful, don't worry. But do deworm her, give iron supplements and appetizers.

Dairy products are advisable only after a year because they are prone to be allergic.
Balanced Indian diet should be enough. No special food is essential after one year. Eat together as a family. Give her what you eat, but in soft consistency. You can give her fruits and vegetables too.


Dr Arun
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor