Child suffering from fever, vomiting and throat infection. Is it safe to take paracetamol?

Dr. Samik Basu

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Child Health
Question: My child is running in high fever 101- 102 Along with vomit. We have been told that she has throat infection. The doctor suggested us to give paracetamol thrice a day for 1 day, if the fever doesnt subside start with antibiotic Pecef 100 mg syrup twice a day. Can you pl. let me know the use of this antibiotic and does it have some side affects. I am concerne about the high dose of this medicine.
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 9 minutes later
Hi ,

Thank you for your query.

I think your child is suffering from viral infection.The doctor has probably suggested the antibiotic after examining the throat.

Do not worry. If this antibiotic is given at a proper dosage, then it has little side effects.
The commonest side effects would be gastric intolerance, dyspepsia, diarrhoea.
Usually these drugs are well tolerated. I am sure the doctor has prescribed the dosage according to the weight of the child. Please rely on your doctor and don't worry.

Paracetamol can be given every 4 hours if the child has fever. Keep her well hydrated. I sincerely hope she will get well with your tender love and care.

If you have any further queries you are free to consult me. Hope this answers your query.
Wishing your child a speedy recovery. Have a nice day.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan