Child passing blood in the stool. Prescribed medicine. Any suggestion?

Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth

Pediatrician, Neonatology

Posted on Thu, 14 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: my nephew is 1 yr 2 mnths old.
since last 6 days blood is coming out with his stool.
consulted a local doctor at hyderabad & he has given some antibiotic by presuming the reason for the same to be an infection.

1>Requesting your advice on the same ..
2> Please throw some light on the probable reason of the same ?
3>do i need get any pathological testing done for the kid ?
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 5 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome to XXXXXXX

First a few questions!

Is he passing small amount of blood in the stool with mucus and loose stool which is called dysentery.
This may be due to bacterial infecion or amoeba.
In this case he needs stool examination

Is he passing plain blood along with hard stool -- in this case it can be anal fissure. It will be painful when he passes stool.

Is the stool black in colour? This means altered blood from upper GI tract.

Pl give more details and whether he has improved on antibiotics?

Good luck

DrUma
Follow up: Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 25 hours later
Hi Doctor,
Thanks a lot for your quick reply.
He is passing small amount of blood in the stool with mucus and loose stool.
Yesterday we got his stool testing done . It was detected with amoeboidal cyst.
Previously he was given o-floxacin 50 mg. Now it has been changed to metrogyl.

So please suggest:
1> Whether medication is going proper at this stage or he needs to take any more ...
2> What kind of food can he have ?
3> Any other restriction or any other important thing to be taken care of ?

Thanks & Regards
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 53 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Is it confirmed that it is entameba hisolytica??

Treatment is correct
Metrogyl for 7-10 days
This may need to be followed by a drug called diloxanide furoate for 10 days in some cases to completely eradicate the cysts.

Reg the 2- food is OK. -milk,bland food,rice,curds,khichdi,roti without much ghee XXXXXXX - Can be given

Reg 3 the most important
How did the small baby get this!!!????
The child gets this from contamination of food and water and also by going himself and putting things in mouth.!

Hygiene is very important.
Hand washing when preparing feeds,

Using nicely boiled water.
Not taking any uncooked food,salads , juice,raitha,etc from outside.
Avoid cold drinks,ice etc from outside which are not clean places.
Also checking whether you nth and any other care givers have infection with cysts.

Good luck
Dr Uma