Child having scabs on knuckles. Cause of concern?

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in Skin Rash
Question: I just noticed my 5 years old has a rashy scab on his knuckles. Looks like he got in a fight. He said nothing happened and it just showed up. Possibly just from the cold dry air? There are no other symptoms.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 22 minutes later

From the image that you have sent, it probably looks like hand eczema. It might have occurred due to prevailing cold conditions. Children and the elderly are prone to have such dry lesions in cold months

The low humidity of cold, dry weather can make skin dry which can lead to itching and eczematous eruptions. Using home heaters in cold weather can also dry out the skin.

The treatment is quite simple. Use of a steroid cream like mometasone cream for few days will alleviate the symptoms. Also the use of an intensive moisturizer to keep the area well hydrated is recommended. You can also give your child, oral antihistaminic syrup like cetirizine if there is any complaint of itching.

As a general skin care in cold weather to prevent further recurrences,it should be kept in mind that very warm water should not be used for bathing. One should also use a hydrating soap bar and a moisturiser should be applied immediately after bathing to lock in the moisture.
Hope that answers your query. Should there be any further query, I would be happy to assist you.

Wishing your child a fast recovery .

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E