Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
139 Doctors are Online

Cannot urinate. Referred to kidney specialist. Help?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 118 Questions
My husband, aged 70, cannot urinate. He has been referred to a kidney specialist, This has been going on for about one week. Referrals take time.....wait on insurance authorizations. Is there any info you could provide that would help? This would be greatly appreciated.
Posted Sat, 28 Sep 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Avinash Ignatius 38 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
At 70 with previous lumbar surgeries, there are two likely possibilities

1. He has an enlarged prostate obstructing his urinary flow.

2. He has a condition called as neurogenic bladder: It results from weakening of nerves controlling the bladder. This could happen due to his degenerative spine.

An ultrasound of the abdomen with a post void residue and a uroflowmetry woul be the initial tests needed to assess the cause.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Nephrologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor