Can you contract ALS from a tetnus shot?

Dr. Piyush Ostwal

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 24 Dec 2012 in Brain and Spine
Question: Can you contract ALS from a tetnus shot?
Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 2 hours later

ALS is not a transmissible disease, which means that it cannot spread from one person to another by contact or other such modes. It is a neurodegenerative disease and usually manifests in elderly age group. It occurs because of slow death of motor neurons, which are present in spinal cord and the brain. The exact cause of this death of neurons is not known, in most of the patients. In a few patients, genetic factors play an important role.

To conclude I would again emphasize that it cannot spread by tetanus shot.

Hope that answers your query. If you have more queries, I would be happy to answer.

Good luck.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E