What causes difficulty in swallowing along with drooling of saliva?

Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Thu, 16 Nov 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi i am a 29 year old xxxx.

I have recently been having a little excess saliva in the corner of the right side of my mouth. Feels abit watery than usual sometimes when i speak. I did remove a wisdom tooth about 3 weeks ago and have had some dental work done a few months ago. I have no troubles swallowing or speaking just feels unusual. I was reading up and was worried about als or mnd that it can cause drooling however i also read it may be due to not swallowing saliva. What are your thoughts as i am a little worried about it being als. Can you get back to me.
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get evaluated by a neurologist

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concern.
Mild saliva leakage from angle of mouth maybe due to dental procedure related mild facial palsy, decreased swallowing of saliva or improper mouth closure.
Possibility of ALS or motor neuron disease is unlikely to present with such symptoms.
You can visit to a neurologist for examination and investigations if needed.
Nothing serious at present.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back to me for further information.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Neeraj Kumar 38 minutes later
Ok thanks for the reply. If it were als would it present itself differently. I have no other symptoms apart from mold saliva from the angle. And at night when i go to bed i dont have it all.
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get evaluated by a neurologist

Detailed Answer:
ALS presents with muscle wasting, movement of muscle involuntarily, speech changes, deglutition difficulty and at later stage inability to swallow saliva.
Get examined by a neurologist once.
Nothing of much concern at present.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Follow up: Dr. Neeraj Kumar 1 hour later
Ok so you think chances of it being als are very rare. I went and saw a gp today and he also thinks it is nothing to worry about. He laughed at the thought of als.
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 27 hours later
Brief Answer:
Be stress free

Detailed Answer:
Be stress free.
Don't think of ALS.
Wishing you good health and early recovery.
Dr N Kumar