Can thyroid be the cause of increased tummy fat?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Wed, 25 Dec 2013 in General Health
Question: Hi I am 25 year old my height 5 ft and 8 inch and my weight is 77 kg .My query is why my tummy fat increased unusually and i suspect that there some problem in my thyroid hormones but i haven't checked yet.i started workout in gym from last month is taking fat burner along with exercise is good. Should i go to check my thyroid hormones please do clarify my doubts
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 59 minutes later
Brief answer...bad life styles generally result in big tummies Detailed answer... Hello, Thanks for the query. Although hypothyroidism can make you sluggish and gain weight and should definitely be checked out,but the most likely cause for your weight gain around your waist is bad life style. What should be done... 1... Sleep well. 2...avoid carbs like bread,pasta,burgers,sweets,sugary drinks 3... Avoid transfats 4... Consume plenty of fresh fruits and green vegetables 5... Take plenty of water. 6.. Avoid alcohol and smoking 7.. Consume less of coffee Fat burners are good option as they tend to increase your metabolism and help you in shedding weight but they won't be of any use if calories intake is not restricted. Do regular exercises. Along with gym,do simple aerobic exercises like swimming,cycling and brisk walk. I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query. Best of luck Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 39 hours later
Hello Is pubic fat pad make penis to visible small because there is significat fat deposited on that area in my body could you tell me how to reduce it. what are the disadvantages of hypothyroidism how do i know that . could you tell me about my height and weight standard what should be my ideal weight and BMI. what is pelvic floor exercise what are the plus point
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Hello, Yes,extra pubic fat may result in your penis looking small.There are no specific exercises to reduce this pubic fat. Hypothyroidism in early stages may be a symptomatic ,however general symptoms are dry skin,weight gain,cold intolerance,puffy face,irritability,fatigue,muscle weakness,constipation,decreased sweating etc. Your weight should be around 68-70 kgs. Pelvic floor muscles are like sling and are located between your legs and run from pubic bones in front to base of spine at your back.These muscles support your bladder and bowel and become weak as you grow old.Weak pelvic floor muscles result in urine incontinence in men and women and erectile dysfunction in men.Pelvic floor exercises help in alleviating these problems. Thanks 
Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 43 hours later
Hello Is it difficult to reduce tummy fat what are the quickest way to reduce tummy fat and normally how long does it take to reduce tummy fat. I'm currently using Grenade Thermodetonator fatburner is it safe to use or any side effect is there? I would like to know how long does it take to develop biceps and chest muscle normally Every day when i wake up in morning i m finding that my penis is in erect state what is the reason behind that is there any problem in that?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 hours later
Hello, It is very difficult to tell about the exact time your tummy would take to reduce,since it took many years of bad lifestyle to get a large tummy. However,a sustained dietary control and proper and daily exercises would take at least 6 months to show the result. You may carry on with the fat burner you are using. Regarding your growth of biceps and chest muscles,you would have to talk to a  physical trainer,who would assess your physique and outline the programme for you. Morning erection of penis is a perfectly normal phenomenon and if a male gets morning penile erections,then it denotes a perfectly normal sexual physiology. Thanks