Can stress cause premature ventricular contractions?

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 14 Sep 2016 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Question:

can stress cause many pvc's a day?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes it can cause but need to treat it

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Health care magic.

First of all I assume that you are refering PVC to panic disorder. If you mean something else please correct me.

Although stress can cause many panic attacks in a day but it is never sufficient all in alone to cause panic attacks. Most of the persons with panic attack have prior events of panic attack and sttess associated with such events including fear of similar experience causes more panic events thus setting a vicious cycle.

In addition there remains something which makes a person vulnerable for panics which need to identify and treat it.

I mean to say that yes stress could be reason for multiple panic attacks but there remains a need yo manage stress as well panic attacks independently.

I hope this answers you.
If you have more questions feel free to write back to me.
Thanks and regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 12 minutes later
It's feel like when intense my stomach for long periods of time I get pvc attacks 4-6 a minute. Have you ever seen that?
Brief Answer:
It could not be stress alone

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for reverting back to me.

I have seen PVC attacks for a period ranging from few seconds to few minutes and never beyond that.
Regarding frequency yes 4-6 per minute is common occurrence due to stress alone.

I feel before calling due to stress a proper cardiac workup should be done as it is not something which should be ignored at 37 years of age.

If the cardiac work up already done and found nothing abnormal it is most likely due to stress and there is need to follow stress management strategies.

I hope this assists you further.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for my future patients.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386
Thanks and regards.

Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 37 minutes later
I did an echo, stress test and all blood test a year ago. Have you seen people get them from tensing?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes it is very common

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for reverting back to me.

Yes it is very common. I often see a reference from cardiology with similar complaints and nothing abnormal at cardiac work out. Precisely I see at least two patients per week.

I hope this helps tou.
Thanks and regards.