Can osteoarthritis of shoulder remain pain free and after having an extremely painful injury?

Dr. Moustafa Saeed

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 16 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Can osteoarthritis/calcification of the shoulder remain pain free and after an injury become extremely painful. Before the injury I was not receiving treatment, not on medication and had no problem with any aspects of my life. Now I have limitations on certain activities.
Answered by Dr. Moustafa Saeed 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, it can.

Detailed Answer:

Yes it can flare up after injury.
However when you get new injury another part of the shoulder can get injured, so may be a tendon tear or simple analgesia and gentle exercises to your shoulder, and if no significant improvement then ultrasound scan of the shoulder will be indicated.

Wish you speedy recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Moustafa Saeed 50 minutes later
This has to do with workers compensation. I suffered a injury to my shoulder and because of this pre-existing condition they say they are not responsible to compensate me. Until the injury I had no problems so feel the injury accelerated this condition and caused the symptoms I now have. Do you have a medical opinion on whether this could be true? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Moustafa Saeed 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Repeat Ultrasound

Detailed Answer:

Get new ultrasound scan and if there is tendon tear then it is definitely new thing not related to your pre existing condition.