Can i get pregnant during ovulation?

Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Infertility Specialist

Posted on Thu, 10 Apr 2014 in Infertility Problem
Question: Hello, My partner and I are trying to get pregnant. I have been using a fertility clinic to track my cycle - and this can be anywhere between 30 and 42 days. On wednesday, day 29 of my cycle I was told that my oestrogen level was 470 and that we should engage in sex during the following 48 hours. Today, being Saturday, my blood test have confirmed that I ovulated. What is the liklihood that I would have been able to conceive during these days and given the ovulation was considered so late in my cycle ie day 29, would the egg be viable for implantation??
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 34 minutes later
Brief Answer: yes Detailed Answer: Hi If tests have confirmed ovulation it is possible that you might get pregnant. Chances are around 10 percent. Egg is likely to be viable for 25 hours after ovulation. I hope your husband's semen analysis is normal. Let me know if you have any more questions. Regards Dr. Mahesh Koregol
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Koregol 9 minutes later
My partners semen analysis has come back as extremely good - with excellent numbers and motility. We were told on the Wednesday afternoon to engage in sex in the following 48 hours, and we did so on Thursday morning and Friday morning. So you do believe that we do have a chance of getting pregnant? Is there anything we can do in the future to increase the rate of conception from 10%?? Or is this a standard percentage per month for every couple?? And do you have an concerns about the viability of the egg if it was released at what I was told was very late in my cycle? And then at what point would I be able to test if I am pregnant - most sites say that it takes between 5 to 12 days post ovulation for the fertilised egg to implant. Are there particular signs that I could look for or experience in terms of knowing if we have conceived?
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes Detailed Answer: Hi The standard rate of pregnancy with each attempt as in your case is ten percent and its standard. You stand good chance of pregnancy as your days of intercourse seems to be around Ovulation time. There are no specific symptoms but get serum beta hCG blood test done after 15 days of ovulation. Regards Dr. Mahesh Koregol