Can endorphins increase energy levels during sexual intercourse?

Dr. Zenab Tambawala

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 13 Sep 2016 in Women's Health
Question: HCMP 14049:
Can the endorphins released during sex help with energy levels? I use to be very sexual active and had high energy levels however my situation has changed recently and I rarely have sex / orgasm and have noticed my energy levels have also fallen. Please advise if this is possible?
Answered by Dr. Zenab Tambawala 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
menopausal?

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

Have you been through menopause recently?
Are you having your periods?

Do you also have dryness of vagina?
Have you considered HRT?

Do let me know so I can help you .

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Zenab Tambawala 2 hours later
I am not menopausal nor premenopausal.
I have never had regular periods in my life.
Note the question was really orientated around a theory I have, namely that I use to have lots of sex until I met my current partner who gas a low libido. It's not my libido that has reduced it the amount of sex that I recurve XXXXXXX to my partners lie sex drive. Hence XXXXXXX to the reduction of sex and subsequent endorphins released could this be contributing to my fatigue and depression?
Answered by Dr. Zenab Tambawala 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
hi there,
yes you are correct. The endocrine system especially the endorphins and other hormones which aid sexually pleasure are dependent on feedback.

if your partner has a lower drive it will cause you also to have a lower one and vice versa.

And any change from the usual can cause to feel uncomfortable and if continued over a few months , especially if you do not feel satisfied may make you have depressive symptoms.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T