Can cocaine usage cause PVCs?

Psychiatrist
Question
could previous cocaine use cause permanent PVCs?
And no, i no longer do cocaine!
Posted Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction

Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is depend on individual cases

Detailed Answer:
hello XXXXXXX
This is Dr. Chintan Solanki here.
It's good that you have stopped cocaine.
Cocaine cause significant cardiac disturbance through sympathetic stimulation and affecting myocardial(heart muscles) tissues metabolism.Sp it can cause any type of arrhythmia and PVC is one of them.
These arrhythmia would be permanent or not depends upon many factors.
Use of cocaine in terms of quantity and duration.
Person's nutritional and physical and cardiac status before, during and after use of cocaine.
Severity of cocaine withdrawal and treatment taken for the same as well as treatment taken for arrhythmia.
ECG,TMT and other cardiac evaluation should be done by cardiologist if cardiac toxicity is there.
If you can provide me above details with reports I can tell you specifically in your case it would be permanent or not.
hope you have found the clue from my answer for your next step.
Thanks & Regards.

Follow-up: Can cocaine usage cause PVCs? 11 minutes later
Thank you for the detailed answer.
My cocaine use was for about two years, at its peak averaging 1 gram/week. Im clean only 1 month - which i know isnt long yet, but i have taken steps to ensure im done.
I exercise regularly, bike 10 miles every other day, both primary and cardiologist have listened to my heart and say it sounds healthy. Im having an echo and stress test on friday. But a holter revealed 2900 PVCs in 24 hours and they are causing me much discomfort and anxiety. I dont have a copy of my ecg but aside from the pvcs, never in bigeminy, i was told it was normal.

Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It would be revert I guess not permanent

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welocome and thanks for detail info. I read your details.
If you are determined to never take again cocaine and maintain healthy lifestyle above EKG changes can revert back.
After TMT your cardilogist is the best judge to determine if any medicine needed or not.
Otherwise you are ok. No need to concern about minor changes in EKG.
In 3-4 months I guess it will be normal.
But regular cardiologist follow up needed until your doctor tell there is no need of follow up.
Thanks & Regards.
All the best and get well soon.