Can bacterial vaginosis cause prostatitis?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: Is it possible that my bacterial vaginosis caused my boyfriends prostatitis? or vice versa? Is there a connection between the two and how should we go about treatment?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
How old is your boy friend?

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

Bacteraial vaginosis is caused by gardnerella vaginalis. This is not a common cause for prostatitis. I will not also want to think that prostatitis can be the cause of bacterial vaginosis.

Symptoms of difficulty having and maintaining anderection as well as not urinating freely at night are not suggestive of prostatitis. Prostatitis presents with frequent urination and pains during urination or in the anal area. If these are absent, then I am not too sure his symptoms are suggestive.

I will recommend that he gets fully evaluated for his symptoms and treated accordingly. His symptoms have no relationship with bacterial vaginosis and vice versa. A visit to his primary care doctor would be a good option and qualified enough person to start with.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services and do feel free to ask for more information and clarification if need be.

Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 8 minutes later
Thank you for your response. My boyfriend is 40...could this be related more to issues with an enlarged prostate?

Additionally, I had never experienced bacterial vaginosis until having intercourse with this partner...could we be passing something between the two of us?

As I mentioned before, I have been treated with metro gel and my symptoms resolved. Also, this partner and I broke up and later begin another relationship together. Both of us indeed had other partners during this time. I did not experience a single episode of BV...and we were both tested for STDs before resuming a sexual relationship.

What are your thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Would suggest thatt you bith get tested for this!

Detailed Answer:
41 is too early for enlarged prostate.

Are you having any troubling symptoms at this time? If not, I will suggest that he simply reports his symptoms to his doctor for evaluation. However, if you have symptoms now, I will suggest that you both get tested and treated for this.

Bacterial vaginosis is not an STD. I really doubt if you are passing something between you both and more so because the tests all returned negative for STDs.

For how long has he been down with sexual weakness?

Hope this helps.
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 14 minutes later
I do not have any overt symptoms right now. I am sensitive to my personal scent and it is stronger than normal if that makes sense. It is usually the first sign I am going to have an episode of BV.

I also experience pelvic pain with deep thrusting. I have read up a little on dyspareunia. Could this be related to the BV? Obviously, positioning and such makes a difference but we vary it and I experience the pain in a few positions not just one.

Thank you for answering these questions. I realize they are of a personal nature and I appreciate this service and your profession advice/opinion.

Obviously, advice over the internet is no substitute for an examination by a HCP, but I have been fairly good about speaking to my HCP about this problem. She has offered logical advice for me in regards to dealing with recurring BV but it is still frustrating.

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 days later
Brief Answer:
See below!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for this follow up precisions.

You are absolutely correct about the strong body scent relate with your BV. In the lab, the scent is part of the elements used in investigating for this pathology.

With recurrent infections, something for sure is not going right. Either you get repeat exposures after treatment or your treatment never really eradicates the germs completely.

Have you had a vaginal sample culture for germ identification and testing for antibiotics sensitivity? I think this would be very important to make sure we are treating the right infection with the right antibiotics. BV is not a STD and relating this to your partner seems so difficult as it seems to occur more often with him than others.

Pain with deep thrusting suggests an infection of the cervix and other organs like the tubes, ovaries and uterus. Pain related to BV would be evident the moment your partner gets into the vaginal as this is where the infection is. However, pain with thrusting is more suggestive of deeply situated genital organs.

I hope you find the above information guiding. Raise these suggestions to your doctor and hear what his/her thoughts are. I wish you well!