Can a benign thyroid nodule cause swallowing difficulties?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Tue, 21 Mar 2017 in Lump
Question: would a benign growth on the thyroid restrict swallow ?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:

Yes, if a growth on the thyroid is large enough, it may restrict swallowing to some degree. Depending on what the growth is will depend on the treatment. For example if hypothyroidism is causing a goiter, then supplemental thyroxine will need to be taken. If it is from something else and is causing pressure on the esophagus, then surgical removal might be indicated.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 13 minutes later
Patient is on liquid diet. Is this typical of thyroid growth ?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
It depends on the cause of the growth.

Can you provide more history please?