Can a baby's head engage after 38 weeks of pregnancy?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 7 May 2018 in Pregnancy
Question: Hello doctor... what are the chances of head engagement after 38w 5d.. my baby wt is 3.6 kg and head is not yet engaged and my height is 5.1... during internal checkup doc told baby head is still high... doc is suggesting to go for elective csec after 39w 1d.. I wanted to know by next week will the head get engaged ??? if pain is induced then are there chances of head engagement ?? should I wait for normal delivery or I should go for elective csec
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Depends on several factors.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.

The engagement of head depends on many factors.

If the liquor is adequate and baby movements are alright and you did not have any C section earlier then head usually engages after 39 weeks. Mild intermittent contractions do help in the engagement of the head.

You can wait for normal delivery only if this is your first delivery and the non-stress test is reactive and you have an uncomplicated normal pregnancy. The decision of your gynecologist after a proper examination should be final.

Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow-up queries that you have.

Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 25 hours later
Thanks... yesterday I had White jelly like discharge ( I think mucous plug) and till now there is discharge... this indicates I will get labour naturally or chance of pain induction is required.... after mucous plug is discharged in how many days labour pain may start
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The pains may start in next 3-5 days.

Detailed Answer:

Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
After the mucus plug dislodges the pains usually start in 3-5 days. The time can vary. If you can feel all the baby movements normally then you can wait for the pains to start naturally.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Thanks... Since yesterday I'm getting slight cramps like period which lasts for 2-3 seconds... and duration between cramps are not same.. these cramps are due to mucous plug dislodge or cervix is dilating
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Stronger pains will dilate cervix.

Detailed Answer:
Cervix starts dilating only when there are strong and regular contractions. These mild contractions can be false labor pains and can cause a mild mucus discharge.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D