Can Vagifem Peswsories,Somac and Nasonex be taken together?

Endocrinologist
Question
I am a 58 year old post menopausal women - last period Aug 2006. I have type 2 diabetes and have been taking 500 g of metform for about 2 months, Have been taking vagifem peswsories since February. I also am being treated for acid reflux and have been on somac and nasonex for about a month.
Is there any harm in taking these a t the same time and do I have an increased risk of getting pregnant.
I have noticed that blood sugar levels have been elevated lately
Posted Sun, 31 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
No

Detailed Answer:
1 There is no known major clinically relevant nor significant interaction between these medications, to the best if my knowledge of published medical literature.
So it should be ok to take them at the same time.

2 At 58, I dont think you have a chance of getting pregnant unless you have been having regular menstrual cycles. I see you are on vagifem pessaries but this is a localized form of hormone replacement treatment. The average age of natural menopause worldwide in women is around 52. You say you are post menopausal. if you are not sure, a simple blood test for blood estradiol , FSH and LH levels will provide the answer with certainty.
However, the estrogen in vagifem may get absorbed a bit into the bloodstream and impact the results of the blood tests

3 If your blood sugar is rising then check with your doctor to see if the dose of the metformin can be gradually increased

Follow-up: Can Vagifem Peswsories,Somac and Nasonex be taken together? 4 hours later
In regard to being 58 and wondering if I could be pregnant I heard of a 59 year old women in Uk who had a baby apparently after completion of menopause so I believe its possible and I had menopausal blood test about 12 months ago testing FH and LH levels and the doctor was satisfied that I came up menopausal however that was before I started on vagifem.

Sorry if it sounds silly question

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 38 hours later
Brief Answer:
Rarest of the possibilities

Detailed Answer:
Yes, pregnancy is possible 'if and only if' you have a fertile egg left in your ovary. You have attained menopause in 2006. It would be the rarest of possibilities if you get pregnant now.

Again, in medicine nothing is sure for cent percent. Hope you understand and your query was quite interesting. Thanks for posting the same.