• question-icon

Can Synthroid create Nodules and hair loss? Side effects?

Posted on Sat, 3 Aug 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Can Synthroid create Nodules??? And is a side effect of the medicine can it cause hair loss???
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 24 hours later
Hi XXXXX,
synthyroid is a medicine given in cases of hypothyroidism.
chronic hair fall, thyroid nodule or enlarged throid gland is seen in cases of hypothyroidism.
So as such synthyroid does not induce such side effects.
if you are having hair fall, continue with your synthyroid medication, once the TSH level will normalise your hair fall would reduce too. To stimulate hair regrowth, you may start applying minoxidil solution 1 ml twice in a day( 2%).
Similarly with synthyroid use, the nodules in thyroid should shrink too. That would be seen once you get a throid scan done after being on therapy for few months.

Hope that answered your query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist