• question-icon

Can STD be transmitted through saliva in mouth?

Posted on Mon, 30 May 2016 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Hi Doctor,
I would like to know the std transmission (HIV, Hep A,B,C, Herpes, Chlamydia & Gonnorhoea) through a spit from mouth contacting the person who is standing very close and the spit hitting the mouth and eyes. What are all the std transmission if the saliva hits or the blood mixed with saliva hits the opposite person mouth and eyes.
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Almost nil.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to health care magic.

I have gone through the details and understand the concern.

The chances of transmission of HIV and other STDs (like hepatitis A,B,C,chlamydia and gonorrhea) through saliva is almost NIL.

There may be a very minor possibility of herpes simplex virus(HSV) transmission through saliva or droplets of spitting if some has active lesions in/around his/her oral cavity.But this is possible only when you spit saliva on open large wound.

So,it is rare that herpes virus can transmit (even with blood mixed saliva) through the description provided by you (by hitting saliva onto the person's mouth or eyes) even if the other person have active herpes lesion in mouth or oral cavity.

Saliva usually does not contain HIV virus (unless the other person has heavy viral load or has developed AIDS which is again rare),so it does not transmit HIV.

So, I do not find any possibility of STDs getting transmitted by described modes.

Hope this helps.

Dr.Sandip Kabra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Follow up: Dr. Sandip Kabra 3 hours later
Dear Doctor,

Thanks for your message. I would like to know what if the Saliva contaminated with blood hits the eyes or mouth (you know some people spits saliva when they speak) When the guy has bleeding gums he has more chance to spit saliva with blood contaminated.

Is there any chance of transmission of STDs like HIV, Hep A,B,C, Chlamydia & Gonorrrhea through blood contaminated saliva from mouth hits the eyes and mouth of the other person.

Will the herpes be transmitted if we share snacks like he bites 50% of chocolate and gives me the balance 50%.

Thanks once again for spending valuable time for me.
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Almost nil.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome again,

As we discussed earlier,the chances of transmission of STDs through saliva is almost NIL even if the saliva is mixed with blood.

However,there is very very minor possibility of herpes transmission (but not HIV as this virus can not survive outside body or any other STDs) through saliva or by its droplets only if the other has active lesions in his/her oral cavity.

So,I do not think that you need to bother much.

Also,herpes does NOT spread by sharing snacks like chocolates.

This kind of transmission is extremely rare.Do not worry.

Dr.Sandip Kabra

Follow up: Dr. Sandip Kabra 47 minutes later
Dear Doctor,

Thank you for reply and you have cleared me that the tiny spit will not transmit STDs.

Regarding Herpes whether it is transmitted only when the lesions are found or it may be transmitted without any herpes symptoms.

How reliable is Antibody tests in XXXXXXX for HSV1&2. While i read in the internet few confuses me that HSV1 will give false Negative results in antibody testing.
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
HSV1 and 2 antibody testing is completely reliable in XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
Welcome again,

Thanks for your appreciation.

Herpes transmits only when there is active infection with or without clinical symptoms and very uncommonly through saliva.

The most common route of herpes transmission is oral/genital sex.

And yes,HSV1 and 2 antibody testing is completely reliable when it is done after 10 to 15 days of exposure.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have more questions.

Dr.Sandip Kabra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Dr. Sandip Kabra