Can HIV be contracted through unprotected oral sex?

Dr. Sunil Jangid

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hello sir iam from XXXXXXX I had unprotected oral sex around 10 mins receiving from a scw.on dated as 17 th may 2015. I done Elisa 3 rd generation test that index value 0.4 so negative and I had done tridot test is also negative and vdlr test is negative. Sir I done these test after 100 days of exposure. So pls advice I need not to go any further test. 100 days window period is enough na... Sir aam so depressed pls give advice sir... Pls help me....
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to go for any further test as you are free from HIV so don't worry.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

First of all, the risk of transmission of HIV from single exposure to oral sex is very very low as compared to vaginal or anal sex so no need to worry so much.

Second, your 3rd generation ELISA and Tri-dot both are negative after 100 days of exposure than you are absolutely free from HIV because both these tests are confirmatory after 3 months as the window period for HIV varies from 15 days to 3 months.

Lastly, your VDRL test is also negative that means you are free from syphilis too. So don't get so depressed and remove the fear of getting HIV from your mind. Be relaxed and move ahead in your life happily.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 21 minutes later
Sir thank you so much XXXXXXX sir.. Already I asked questions previously sir but my friends are discouraging sir that's why again again questioning you and one more question Elisa 3rd generation value is 0.4 na sir but less than 1 na sir so negative but in future it will be increased or not without sexual contact sir. Thanks for ur advice... Sir so I need not to go any further test na... I have no symptoms sir I did not concentration anything sir thanks you so much sir pls reply
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Don't get so depressed from your friends talk as you are risk free from HIV

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

The value for ELISA does not carry much significance because any value below one is considered as non-reactive so don't take so much tension of your friends talk.

At present you have no symptoms also so be relaxed and concentrate in life as you are free from HIV. As your friend I will also advice you to stay away from unsafe sexual practices in future to avoid the risk of HIV and other STDs.

Thank You
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 1 hour later
Thank you so much XXXXXXX sir .... Today onwards I moving to new life sir... I realised I did not go to any sexual contact sir its sure ... I need not to go further test na... Sir so iam very thankful to you ... Your words are very valuable in my life... Sir... One last qstn I need not to go any further test na...sir pls reply.... Sir... Thank you for u r advice
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
No further test is required.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

No further test is required in your case as ELISA and TRI-DOT are negative after 100 days of exposure so don't worry and move ahead in life.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T