Suggest remedies for dry mouth

Posted on Mon, 13 Nov 2017 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Hi.

I'm concerned about possible std risk

I'm in xxxxxxxxxxx on holidays and met a Thai girl. My condom broke which left me exposed

I went to the hospital as my mouth was dry (less saliva than usual and frothy with bubbles) he gave me precautionary preventative PEP hiv pills which are now causing side effects

What are the main risks ? What's the likely cause of dry mouth or frothy saliva?

I'm now peeing a lot and other symptoms such as sore fingers and knees but I believe these are side effects if the PEP

Any advice ? Should I continue with the pill ? Am I overreacting ? Could it be something less serious ?

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Continue with post exposure prophylaxis

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.

I a. Dr. kakkar(Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.

Post exposure prophylaxis (PEP) is recommended for high risk exposure such as unsafe sex which includes instances of broken condom. So you should continue with PEP.
The most common side effects of PEP are nausea and a general feeling of being unwell. Other side effects include headache, fatigue, vomiting and diarrhoea.
Perhaps anxiety is the reason for frequent urination as well as dry mouth. Anxiety can increase insensible water losses through sweating and fast breathing thus causing dehydration and dry mouth. Other symptoms like sore fingers and knee can be explained by the general unwell feeling while on PEP. Anyways you should continue with PEP as it is the only effective measure to prevent HIV after risk exposure and in varous studies around the world it has been documented many a times that PEP prevented HIV in all those who were exposed to HIV risk.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vishesh Rohatgi
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 12 minutes later
Thank you doctor

Are there any other std likely to cause dry mouth ?

These pills only work for hiv but they did not give me anything for other risks

Also they recommended for 28 days. Is this correct ? It's the standard duration ?
Thanks
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Regarding PEP for HIV

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Yes, 4 weeks is the standard duration of PEP. Dry mouth is not a specific symptom of any STDs. There are no recommendations regarding prophylaxis for other STDs. Nevertheless you must get screened for all STDs including hsv, vdrl, gonorrhoea, chlamydia, HIV at 4 weeks and then again at 12 weeks for a conclusive result. In the meantime if you notice any symptoms like burning micturation, urethral discharge, genital ulceration, warts/ growths etc you must present yourself for examination.

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist