Can HIV be contracted post an oral sex?

Dr. Monika Dede

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Wed, 5 Apr 2017 in General Health
Question: Hi Dr. Im super worried Im a male that performed oral sex on a female . I had alere hiv neg at 3 weeks . And i just did oraquick at 6 weeks and neg also . Thank
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 6 minutes later
Hello! Please could you give me more information related the tests. Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Monika Dede 8 minutes later
Orquick swab it was done by my self i bough it at local pharmacy, this was done 6 weeks after the posible exposure and negative .
The other test was alere determine hiv , was done at local hiv testing clinic at 3 weeks after exposure and negative also .
Thanks in advance
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please don't worry!

Detailed Answer:
Hello! I have been through your question.

You should know that alere Determine HIV 1/2 Ag/Ab Combo is the first rapid point-of-care test that detects both HIV-1/2 antibodies and the HIV-1 antigen, which can appear just 12-26 days after a possible infection and I think is very accurate.
So, based on that your both tests (orquick and alere determine hiv) are negative and that the risk of getting HIV from performing oral sex on someone with HIV is very low(HIV is not passed on in saliva) I think that you are mostly negative.

Furthermore you should know that oral sex has been shown to be a less risky activity, but it is not risk free and it depends on the viral load of the person with HIV and the dental health of the person performing oral sex.
So, if you have dental health problem ( open wounds) I suggest to get an 4- th generation test after 3 months to be definitely sure that you are free of HIV.

I hope my answer helps you.
Feel free to ask me further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T