Can Fluconazole cause night sweats?

Dr. Klarida Papaqako

Posted on Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I am taking Fluconazole 50 mg tab., for drainage down my throat, and congestion in my nose. It is not helping, I have gone to an ENT Dr., who took a CAT Scan of my Sinuses and head, he said my Sinuses were fine. I am having night sweats and it seems more drainage. Could this be the side effect of Fluconazole.
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Fluconazole is not used for drainage.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using Healthcaremagic to post your health query.
I read carefully your question and I understand your concern.

Fluconazole is not a medicine who helps the drainage in your throat, so that is why it is not helping. Fluconazole is used to prevent and treat yeast infections. It has also a lot of side effects and one of the main ones it is that it damages the liver. Night sweats may be a side effect of it too, but drainage it is not.
So my advice is to stop using that medicine.

As for what can you use- you seem to have used a lot of medicines.
It looks like most probably it is allergy since it is lasing for such a long time.

I am sure that when you allergy shots are done, you will start feeling much better.
Something that can help too, much more then the other medicines and with fewer side effects are the steroid nasal sprays which if used regularly for at least 3 weeks, will start improving your congestion and drainage. But for this, you have to decide together with your allergologist, since he knows all your medical history and he knows better what is the best possible step.
I don't think it is a sinus issue as well, since the Scan is a very accurate examination to rule that out.

Hope this is helpful and makes sense.
Let me know if you need more clarifications.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj