question-icon

Can Effexor be taken instead of Wellbutrin without any side effects?

Posted on Wed, 27 Jul 2016
Question: Can I switch from Effexor to Wellbutrin without weaning off of Effexor before I start the Wellbutrin. And does the Wellbutrin need to be added in increments up to the prescribed dose?
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe (17 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

Abruptly stopping Effexor will almost certainly give you withdrawal. SSRI/SNRI withdrawal can be unpleasant and include flu-like symptoms, malaise, "brain zaps," and blood pressure changes.

I recommend you slowly wean off the Effexor while also slowly increasing the dose of Wellbutrin. Going up to fast on the Wellbutrin dose can cause anxiety and GI upset. A slow process is much more tolerable. Speak with your prescribing doctor about this.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist