Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
199 Doctors are Online

CAT scan showed cyst on ovary. Uterus shows heterogeneous echotexture with bulky contour. Meaning? Worry?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
I had a cat scan on Nov 9 that showed a 4.3 cm cyst on my left ovary. Then I had a followup ultrasound on Dec. 15 to check it. The ultra sound report said the cyst is not identified on this exam but it said there were small follicular cysts that arise from the left ovary. The uterus measures 10.7x4.7x6.8 cm. Right ovary measures 3.3x2.1x2.0 cm and the left ovary measures 2.9x1.4x2.1cm. The endometrial stripe measures 6.2 mm. And the uterus shows heterogenous echotexture with bulky contour. No free fluid. Echogenic foci within endometrial canal are probably calcifications. Should I go back to my gynecologist regarding these results?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

Your present ultrasound examination is within normal limits.

Majority of ovarian cysts are benign functional cysts and usually disappear within the first five days of the menstrual cycle.

Hence, there is a possibility that the cyst encountered during cat scan was a functional ovarian cyst which is usually found in different phases of menstruation cycle and does not warrant further evaluation.

Regarding endometrial thickness and heterogenousity, thickness is within the normal limit and heterogenous areas may be seen in normal endometrium.

The uterus is bulky but it's significance depends on the time of cycle the ultrasound is done, so if premenstrual then its normal.

So if you are absolutely asymptomatic, then you need not worry and this ultrasound may be considered normal.

But in case you have any symptoms like pain, irregular bleeding, etc or feel any palpable mass in pelvic area then please consult your gynecologist.

I would advise, to be on the safer side, considering you have had a risk factor in form of positive pap smear, do consult your gynaecologist if feasible to ask about further check up or follow ups.

Hope I have answered your query. Do write back to me if you have any more concerns.

Wishing you good health.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor