Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Breakthrough bleeding, spotting red and brown, taking Tri-Sprintec, do not want to stop pills

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1983
Answered : 979 Questions
I have been taking tri sprintec for almost 2 years with no problems. I got married last month and tried to skip a period. It worked for the first pack but Im on my second pack of trying to skip and have been spotting for two weeks. Some days it is more than others. Today it started to be more red and brown. I dont want to stop taking th pills because I want to stay protected. What should I do? I have read all sorts of things online but I wanted to ask a doctor. I would like the breakthrough bleeding to stop. Does that mean just stop the pills and have a period? Please help!
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 7 hours later

Thanks for your query here.

Tri Sprintec is a triphasic pill which can give rise to irregular menses. You cannot stop these spotting immediately. There is rise and lows of hormones in the body for sometime and thus you find these harmless side effects. You would notice such things in the user manual. The pills have rising concentration of oestrogen and progesterone hormones. It is recommended to follow what is written on the blister pack. You would have such bleeds otherwise. It is just that you are saved with the first pack.

You can continue taking the drug with a week's interval or till you get your period.

Start from first day of the cycle for 21 days. If you forget to take one tablet , take two next day.
If you forget two then there are chances of failure. You should see your doctor who can suggest you the best way to remain protected. The protection is effective if you take at the sametime of the day.

Hope I answered your query. If you have further questions please respond here I will be able to help you.

Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor