Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
171 Doctors are Online

Boil on penis shaft since months followed by lump. Using bactroban, with one partner. Causes?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 9400 Questions

hello, i have what seems to be a skin boil on the side of my penis shaft, it has been over 2 months, when i first went to the doctor it was an open wound, and the doctor prescrobe bactroban, i have been using it regularly since that is now about 8 weeks and still no improvement. in the damages skin area there is a white boil, very painful and sensitive, has a tiny dot like whole. since the beginning of this i beleived it is an ingrown hair, but after 2 months it still hasnt come out, its painfull, and difficult to deal with... i try hot compress, and hot baths with empsom salts, still nothing really helps, any advice?
Was about febuary when i first noticed a bump on the side of my penis shaft. thought it was an ingrown hair, so unfortunetly i squeezed and poked at it, the wound opened up and most likely got infected. After a few weeks of no improvement i went to see the doctor at the local clinic, he prescribed Bactroban and said to no longer touch it. After using the cream it seemed to cause more pain and swelling. Ofcourse i have to squeezed and poke some more. Was also using a bandaid to cover it up most of the time, then decided to no londer use a bandaid to let it breath and open up, still no improvment. I been trying hot compress and hot baths with epsum salts... sometimes it seems to help then get imflammed again. In the center of the wound there is what seems to be a white hard sensitive boil. a white area with what looks like a tiny whole. Im not sure if there is a long hair growing sideways. Its has been a long time and causing me personal pain and even more pain in my relationship. i hesitate to see a doctor again in fear of shame and more pain.

- been using Bactroban: ( white cream ) doesnt seem to help, seems to cause more inflamation and pain at time
- tried polysporin: (clear cream) seems to help while in use, but not improving
- today trying: (white cream) HYDROSONE 0.5% hydrocotisone cream
- Daily hot compress and shower and sometimes epsom salt baths
- havent shaved the area or arround the area
- wearing lose fitting boxers to avoid friction
- avoiding sexual intercourse - girlfriend very frustrated
- been since feb 2013 until present day

last time checked for STDs was 4 years ago, only 1 partner since.

help me please
Posted Sun, 2 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 15 days later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

Your query is quite detailed, and I have taken the time to go through it, and paid attention to each detail mentioned by you. Do not worry, if we work together, I shall get you up and about in no time.

So far, to me it sounds like either folliculitis (infection of a hair follicle) or an ingrown hair which has been infected. I also request you to undergo screening for herpes, just to be on the safer side.

First of all, I would request you to please stop touching it. This is most probably an infection, and each time you touch, squeeze or pinch it, it gets reinfected. We should leave it alone, and I am sure it will start healing.

Now let me put forward a few instructions to help you get rid of this:
-Use sterile dressing (available in all medical stores), purchase at least 7
-Apply an antibacterial ointment (eg. neomycin) on the sterile dressing, without touching the dressing with your bare hands (use gloves, or go to a clinic) and apply to the affected are. This needs to be done for at least 3-5 days
-Systemic antibiotics: We will have to initiate systemic antibiotics as this is the first-line of treatment for all such infection (eg. amoxicillin+clavulanate 625 mg twice a day for 5-7 days), but under the supervision of a doctor
-Continue with the warm baths and epsom salt
-Wear loose comfortable clothing to avoid irritation of the wound
-Continue to abstain from sexual contact and masturbation
-Take regular baths (maintain good hygiene)
-Clean your genital region well after passing urine

You will have to report to a doctor/nurse every day (for change in dressing) or every 2 days to observe the response. I am sure you will be fine in no time.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please follow my instructions and feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications. I would gladly help you.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor